MindReader Update: Capture notes and links without using keywords

MindReader has always had the option of capturing a link or note along with a task. It did this by always taking a copy of the clipboard at the time of use and then adding it to the task as a note or link if the "note" or "link" keyword was in the string.

This has been handy, but a several nagging problems have emerged over time:

  • You could get false positives if you used "link" or "note" in your text when you were not actually capturing a link or note.
  • Having large amounts of clipboard text go into queue file could cause GyroQ problems
  • You needed to do extra thinking to add right keyword.

Now that has all gone away. Instead of doing a select/copy of desired note or link, then control-Q, then typing text with keyword, you just do the following:

  1. Select the text or hyperlink of interest
  2. Hit Control-Shift-G ("grab") to invoke GyroQ
  3. Toggle to q or fq tag and type your text.

MindReader will automatically identify the text as either a note or hyperlink and add it. It cases where you don't invoke GyroQ with Control-Shift-G, it will not bother putting the clipboard into the queue file, and thus improve MindReader speed and robustness. This would have been implemented early on but the "text grab" feature was in beta at the time and we needed to allow time for folks to upgrade to 1.9.4.7.

In order to cut over to this new approach, you need to download updated versions of MindReaderOpen.mmbas and MindReaderNLP.mmbas from the Macro Library and paste in the packed text for the q and fq GyroQ tags from the Tag Library.

3 Comments »

  1. Christer said,

    January 27, 2008 @ 5:02 pm

    Hi, I have a small problem with OutLInker in combination with MindReader.

    I installed the latest versions of the MindReader macros earlier today. Tonight when I was working om my inbox using OutLinker I noticed that the links back to the e-mail from the task created in MM7 was missing. I re-installed the older macros and it worked again.

    I don't know if I made something wrong with the configuration or if there is an error in the code but I wanted to inform you about my problems and ask for advice since this concept really has been of great value to me. Thanks!

    /Christer

  2. ActivityOwner said,

    January 27, 2008 @ 5:20 pm

    Thanks Christer — Download the latest mindreaderNLP.mmbas and you should be OK. There was a bug the logic related to info coming in from outlinker.

    Thanks for the catch.

  3. Important MindReader Update for Outlinker Users » ActivityOwner.Com said,

    April 3, 2008 @ 7:09 pm

    […] (e.g. "notebook") and have been replaced by islink, see link, isnote and see note. use of control shift g. As it turns out in this case, the "link" keyword was overriding the OutLinker keyword and […]

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.